Skip to main content

What to wear



What to wear?  

One of the things I have discovered about running is that, if you want to do the hard yards, you have to know what to wear. Not in a ‘do I look good in that?’ sense, because there is no way on God’s earth that old ladies (and even young ones for that matter) will ever look good running.
No. What I mean is that that you have to know about the right clothes for the job if you want things to run smoothly.
I know what you’re thinking. . . what’s there to know?! Surely it’s all just shorts and T shirts. And more shorts and T shirts.
“Just pick a nice colour and get on with it,” you’re thinking. 
Well, that’s what I thought too. But this turns out not to be completely so! 
For a start -  what sort of shorts and what sort of T-shirt am I looking at. And do I need a jacket? With a hood? What about a thermal?. And socks? And caps. And knickers. . ., and shoes. . . . 
Phew! I can feel a shopping expedition coming on. . . 
Starting from the top and working my way down is my strategy.
At the top of the list is the cap, (or the sun visor, or headband.) After some trying on I confirm what I already knew. Head wear makes me claustrophobic and my hair is way too bushy keep the damn thing on. I decide to ditch the cap search and move happily onto T-shirts.
Sticking with the tried and true I reckon something plain and black should do the trick. But of course it’s never as easy as that.
“Do you want long sleeves or short?” Asks the sales girl assigned to my case.
Ummm. . . ?
“Or no sleeves at all?”
Uugghhh (have you seen my arms lately?)
“Do you want a fitting T shirt tight or something loose?” 
Well. . . 
“Lycra or cotton, V neck or crew?” She continues. “Fabric that breathes or fabric that absorbs the sweat.” 
“How do I decide?” I am coming out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.
My usual preference is to go for sleeves because of the old lady arm issue. (I don’t know what’s behind it but for some obscure reason, when you are female, your arms will turn to flab on your 47th birthday and will get steadily worse for ever after. )
“Anything with sleeves will do,” I answer, handing something plain and black across the counter for wrapping.
That done I head for the underwear section. 
Those who have shopped for sports bras recently will have some idea how difficult the search can be. For the small-breasted women the brassiere is akin to a scarf or some dangly earrings.  A form of adornment that’s just for show. It’s all about colour and style -  not functionality. 
But for those of us who live life in the double D or even E to G-category, bra shopping is a whole different ball game. 
If you are saddled with big bazookas like I am you will need to invest in something you can trust. This bra has a job of significant importance. It will need to hold said boobs in place for the duration of your run. Bra technology has come a long way. But it’s complicated. There’s cup size. . . and back size. . . and strap size. . . And I try on 17 different models before one comes even remotely close to being a good fit. What I end up with has 16 hook and eyes and resembles a slightly discoloured medical bandage. I try not to look too longingly at the pretty little 34 AA numbers on the sales table.
“I really don’t mind what it looks like so long as it does the job,” I say to the (now) long suffering sales girl. 
She smiles.
Despite the whapping big price tag I know a good bra will be worth it in the long run. 
And once I have the ‘boosie cage’ sorted I can turn my attention to knickers. The wrong knickers have been known to trip many a girl up. And there will be no skimpy g-string for this very mature set of buttocks. I prefer to go the whole hog in the knicker department. I like ones that stretch upwards to meet the bra. Granny bloomers, the hubby calls them. 
“I’ll take as many pairs as you have in stock,” I shriek in manic excitement.
But time is marching on and I haven’t even started with the pants part yet.
Unfortunately it’s not a choice between long and short anymore because there are all manner of sizes inbetween. Like now there are 3/4 and 4/5 and 7/8 -length running pants. I kid you not. And, like T shirts, there are also fabrics galore. My eyes glaze over at the wonder of it all but my enthusiasm is definitely on the wane. Shopping for running gear has proved more tiring than running five times around the park.
That’ll do for now, I say, determined to make it out of the shop before dark.
There is still heaps more to buy, I realise.  Blimey! I haven’t even looked at shoes yet!!
But I have gone way past my word count and I reckon everyone’s had enough.
Especially me!
Guess I can revisit things next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to run a marathon

How to run a marathon (Post-race reflections) The marathon was three weeks ago and the body is slowly falling back into place. I can’t believe it’s been 19 weeks since I first embarked on this adventure. In the beginning it seemed an impossibility and it was with great trepidation that I began my training. But. . . I have always wanted to run a marathon and with age 60 looming large I knew it was now or never.   I followed the schedule with the aim of increasing my mileage and endurance to the point where I could contemplate going the distance. The long runs became steadily longer   - 60 mins became 70 then 80 then 90. Two hours loomed at the six week mark. The improvement was gradual and I tried not to think about the 36 kms that would be required at the end of week 13. While I learned to push myself just a little bit further with each and every run I still had grave doubts that my 60 year old bod would ever cope with 42.2 kms. The truth was, the runs were hard and I

Time to taper

Time to taper The big day is nearly here. In the past week my training runs have gone down. And down. And down. Aunty Lydia (running mentor and creator of 16 week schedule) tells me it’s time to taper.   ‘Taper?” I am only learning about this aspect of training for the first time. In the schedule it appears alongside words like ‘easy’ and ‘rest’. The mileage has gone down, the rest days have gone up.   In the dictionary ‘taper’ appears alongside words like   - narrow; wane; die down; dwindle; lessen; recede; subside; abate; diminish; rescind; slacken off. Words that make me feel uneasy. Words that feel like the opposite of what I should be doing.   The crux of this ‘tapering’ lark appears to be to ‘slacken off.’   Which is obviously appealing after 16 weeks of ‘cranking up’. So what, I hear you ask, is my problem?! My problem, I am fast realising, is my need to over-do stuff. To over-prepare. To over-compensate. To always try and do just that ‘little bit more’ than

What to do with a broken toe

What to do with a broken toe! It’s week 11 of training. But it’s has been ‘one of those weeks’. It all started with an unexpected head cold. A running nose. A pounding head. A barking cough. Throat on fire. The works.   Then the hubby went off to China for a week, which meant I had to keep the home fires burning on my own. (We have a very labour-intensive fire that requires much hauling of wood -)   I also had lots of extra tutoring to do, which meant long hours at the workplace.   It was all getting bit knackering. Then. . . To top it all off. . .   I think I broke my toe. I know! Careless! Stupid!   Unlucky! It was one of those ridiculous accidents involving a bare right foot, a chair leg and a very innocent little ‘clip’. I didn’t think much of it at the time. A slight shriek, some mad hopping, a few swear words, and that was it. Because it was 8:30 on a Saturday morning and I had a two hour run to complete. There was no time for fuss. This run was har