Skip to main content

Time to taper


Time to taper

The big day is nearly here. In the past week my training runs have gone down. And down. And down.
Aunty Lydia (running mentor and creator of 16 week schedule) tells me it’s time to taper.  ‘Taper?” I am only learning about this aspect of training for the first time.
In the schedule it appears alongside words like ‘easy’ and ‘rest’. The mileage has gone down, the rest days have gone up. 
In the dictionary ‘taper’ appears alongside words like  - narrow; wane; die down; dwindle; lessen; recede; subside; abate; diminish; rescind; slacken off. Words that make me feel uneasy. Words that feel like the opposite of what I should be doing. 
The crux of this ‘tapering’ lark appears to be to ‘slacken off.’  Which is obviously appealing after 16 weeks of ‘cranking up’.
So what, I hear you ask, is my problem?!
My problem, I am fast realising, is my need to over-do stuff. To over-prepare. To over-compensate. To always try and do just that ‘little bit more’ than I have to. 
Stupid, I know.
I am definitely one of the ‘more is more’ brigade. Why run for an hour when you can run for two? Why write five words when you can write ten. Why have just one glass of wine when you can have three?
Why indeed?!
It’s because I like to be over-prepared.
Over-done.
Over equipped.
Possibly even over-practised.
I never know when enough’s enough. Never have!
I am definitely a ‘just in case’ person. I will throw that extra jacket in ‘just in case’. Swallow three extra gels, ‘just in case’. Buy five pairs of socks. Three camel baks.  All in the name of ‘Just in case’.
I have a neurotic need to be twice as prepared as the next person. If I see something I like I will buy two - ‘ just in case’ . Of what? I’m not entirely sure.
I must let go of this peculiar personality quirk. Embrace the ‘less’. Enjoy the ‘taper’.
Repeat after me. . . ‘Less is sometimes more and rest is sometimes good.’
In running as in life. In life, as in running.
Yet a little voice keeps nagging in my ear.
“Don’t you think you should have just one more long run. This can’t be it. Surely! You are definitely not ready yet. No way!”
Insecurity?
Probably!
I am definitely not secure in my ability to do a long run.
I have run over 30 kms just once in my life. And I am not at all certain I can do it again? What if it was a fluke? What if my legs are a ‘one long run’ wonder.
That is completely possible.
I know I can run a half marathon. I have done that before. But I don’t know that I can do two of them - in one day. Not yet, I don’t. 

I should be enjoying this slackening off period.
So why is it making me feel so ‘antsy’??
Probably because all through winter I have been cracking the whip. Being disciplined.
Running in rain, hail or snow. Grinning and bearing the broken toe. 
And now, suddenly, I am allowed to be lazy for a few days. 
Yesterday I did my last run before D day. The schedule said ’20 mins’, which is probably the shortest run yet. 
A few months ago I would have been proud to run for 20 mins without stopping. It would have been a goal. But, today it hardly seems worth getting out of bed for.
Which is a GOOD thing! An amazing thing!
Hallelujah for that!
I should be using this tapering time to appreciate how far I have come.
And be grateful that my body has made this progress. 
I should have faith in its ability to carry me over the 42.2 km line.
Yet???
I just wish I felt a wee bitty more sure of myself.
I know it’s human nature to not appreciate how far I’ve come. To quickly accept progress as the ‘new normal’. And I should use the ‘taper’ to address this.
The ‘taper’ is my ‘calm before the storm’.
According to Dr Google
During the ‘taper’ I should. . . 
Take time out. 
Get a massage.
Drink lots of water. 
Go to bed early. 
Stock up on vitamin C.
Shout myself salmon.
Take some deep breaths.
Do those core exercises I never got around to doing.
Check my plane tickets.
And race registration.
Take my foot off the pedal.
And out of the running shoe.
Cruise. . , 
I should trust Aunty Lydia.
And do what I’m told.
I should sit back for a bit.
Relax
And see how life unfolds.




Comments

  1. Hey Sis don't think tapering, think recharging. Getting yourself fit enough to run a marathon takes a fair whack of energy out of the batteries. Your fitness is no longer an issue but your energy level is. So what you're doing is simply charging up the batteries

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed each post Sandy! Wow the day odd finally here. I know a fair bit about tapering from Katie‘a swimming days. Indeed listen to the advice, be kind to yourself! Enjoy your marathon tomorrow! I’m in awe of you! Looking forward to a celebration with you soon! Xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to run a marathon

How to run a marathon (Post-race reflections) The marathon was three weeks ago and the body is slowly falling back into place. I can’t believe it’s been 19 weeks since I first embarked on this adventure. In the beginning it seemed an impossibility and it was with great trepidation that I began my training. But. . . I have always wanted to run a marathon and with age 60 looming large I knew it was now or never.   I followed the schedule with the aim of increasing my mileage and endurance to the point where I could contemplate going the distance. The long runs became steadily longer   - 60 mins became 70 then 80 then 90. Two hours loomed at the six week mark. The improvement was gradual and I tried not to think about the 36 kms that would be required at the end of week 13. While I learned to push myself just a little bit further with each and every run I still had grave doubts that my 60 year old bod would ever cope with 42.2 kms. The truth was, the runs were hard and I

What to do with a broken toe

What to do with a broken toe! It’s week 11 of training. But it’s has been ‘one of those weeks’. It all started with an unexpected head cold. A running nose. A pounding head. A barking cough. Throat on fire. The works.   Then the hubby went off to China for a week, which meant I had to keep the home fires burning on my own. (We have a very labour-intensive fire that requires much hauling of wood -)   I also had lots of extra tutoring to do, which meant long hours at the workplace.   It was all getting bit knackering. Then. . . To top it all off. . .   I think I broke my toe. I know! Careless! Stupid!   Unlucky! It was one of those ridiculous accidents involving a bare right foot, a chair leg and a very innocent little ‘clip’. I didn’t think much of it at the time. A slight shriek, some mad hopping, a few swear words, and that was it. Because it was 8:30 on a Saturday morning and I had a two hour run to complete. There was no time for fuss. This run was har