Skip to main content

The training schedule


The training schedule

Pssst. . . 
Would you like to see my training schedule?
You can catch a glimpse if you scroll to the bottom of the page. But not before you’re done reading this blog post. Lol.
(And I can’t let you see the whole thing because it’s been custom made and paid for)
There’s a bit of a story behind my training schedule. I came by it after becoming so bamboozled by the squillions of running schedules available on line that I decided to buy one from a nice young lady called Lydia who looked like she knew what she was doing. If you google her (Lydia O’Donnell) you will be suitably impressed. She looks exactly like a Greek goddess but with abs. And it says on her website that she can run a marathon in 2:39:01. OMG! That is totally beyond comprehension! 
But the best thing is that Lydia also looks like a really nice person who might even be interested in ‘old ladies running’. 
On her website I selected ‘running programmes’ and set about answering a set of questions regarding things like general fitness, what sort of ‘lifestyle’ I had and how I liked to fill in my days.  I guess she wanted some clues as to how serious I was. Full of optimism, I answered the questions carefully, pressed ‘send’ and waited.
I don’t know what I was expecting. A magic bullet? 
Something that said ‘Hey, Sandy. So nice to hear from you. I am pleased to be able to tell you that if you run along at a completely leisurely pace for no more than a couple of times a week and make sure you eat a lovely high fat desert every night - then, in no time at all ,you will be perfectly prepared to run 42 kms.”
Or, even better, ‘Take this magic pill twice a day and carry on as normal. See you at the finish line.”
Of course that was never going to be the case.
And I should have been way better prepared. 
Because when my schedule arrived I did a bit of a freak out and a wee bit of an about turn and had to be jolted back to reality by a very strong flat white (or three). 
Straight away I knew I was out of my depth. The training schedule had words I had never heard of in it. Like ‘race pace’ and ‘tempo’ and ‘aerobic’ and ‘anaerobic’. I was going to have to do a ‘lactate threshold run’ and some ‘step-outs’ and ‘strides’. All perfect reasonable vocabulary to a sports person, maybe. But to me it was double Dutch. Or triple Dutch. I had no concept of what she was talking about.
There was a thing called ‘Fartlak’? The only thing I knew that had anything to do with ‘fart’ was definitely not running related (apart from the fact that I have been known to indulge in the activity now and then while out jogging -  only when I think no one is looking, or listening!)
And there was also talk of 80% marathon pace? I don’t have a ‘marathon pace’. 
Truth be known. . . I don’t actually have any ’pace’. All I have is a long slow plod. Or long slower plod. . . or maybe a ‘trudge’.
For two days, after receiving my instructions,  I buried my head in the sand (actually, under the pillow). And gave myself a good talking to.
“What were you thinking? “
“You’re not a runner. (Not a proper one!)”
“You’re not even a fast walker. “
“And you are way too old to be doing any ‘fartlaking’.” 
Feeling a tad deflated I put the schedule in the drawer and tried to think of comforting things. Like a nice chilled glass of Stoneleigh and ‘Grace and Frankie’ on the tele. I got out my crochet and made a hat.
The next morning my pulse rate had (almost) returned to normal (68 and pounding) I felt slightly calmer. Calm enough to take matters in hand and send an email back to Lydia.

‘Dear Lydia,
Thank you very much for your time but I think I’ll give the marathon idea a miss for now.” 
Her reply came straight back. 
Dear Lydia, bless her cotton socks, wasn’t haven't a bar of my ‘quit before I start’ attitude.
“I am sorry if the plan looks intimidating”, she said. “I didn't mean to freak you out,” she said.”
“It will be okay,” she said.
“I know you can do it,” she said. 
Really?
She had faith in me, she said. 
Amazing!  But why?
She didn’t know me from a bar of soap but she knew I could do it.
I took ten deep breaths and steeled myself.
I had no choice. I couldn't let this lovely Lydia down., could I. . .  I couldn’t let myself down.  This was something I’d always wanted to do, for whatever reason. 
It was now or never.
“But what about the fartlak?” I said.
“Just ignore the fartlak,” Lydia said.
I could even stick to slow plodding if I liked.
It started to seem possible again. I began to feel slightly better. . . Are you sure?
Absolutely.
If there was any doubt. . . And then, to top it all off -  she included a link.
I followed the link.
There she was -  a 95 year old. Out in her tracksuit, crossing the line.
I had no excuses now. . . 


P.S.
On reflection and after some intense googling I was pleased to see that Fartlak sounded slightly less horrible than I’d first thought. It actually just means run along at your normal pace and have a wee sprint when you feel like it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to run a marathon

How to run a marathon (Post-race reflections) The marathon was three weeks ago and the body is slowly falling back into place. I can’t believe it’s been 19 weeks since I first embarked on this adventure. In the beginning it seemed an impossibility and it was with great trepidation that I began my training. But. . . I have always wanted to run a marathon and with age 60 looming large I knew it was now or never.   I followed the schedule with the aim of increasing my mileage and endurance to the point where I could contemplate going the distance. The long runs became steadily longer   - 60 mins became 70 then 80 then 90. Two hours loomed at the six week mark. The improvement was gradual and I tried not to think about the 36 kms that would be required at the end of week 13. While I learned to push myself just a little bit further with each and every run I still had grave doubts that my 60 year old bod would ever cope with 42.2 kms. The truth was, the runs were hard and I

Time to taper

Time to taper The big day is nearly here. In the past week my training runs have gone down. And down. And down. Aunty Lydia (running mentor and creator of 16 week schedule) tells me it’s time to taper.   ‘Taper?” I am only learning about this aspect of training for the first time. In the schedule it appears alongside words like ‘easy’ and ‘rest’. The mileage has gone down, the rest days have gone up.   In the dictionary ‘taper’ appears alongside words like   - narrow; wane; die down; dwindle; lessen; recede; subside; abate; diminish; rescind; slacken off. Words that make me feel uneasy. Words that feel like the opposite of what I should be doing.   The crux of this ‘tapering’ lark appears to be to ‘slacken off.’   Which is obviously appealing after 16 weeks of ‘cranking up’. So what, I hear you ask, is my problem?! My problem, I am fast realising, is my need to over-do stuff. To over-prepare. To over-compensate. To always try and do just that ‘little bit more’ than

What to do with a broken toe

What to do with a broken toe! It’s week 11 of training. But it’s has been ‘one of those weeks’. It all started with an unexpected head cold. A running nose. A pounding head. A barking cough. Throat on fire. The works.   Then the hubby went off to China for a week, which meant I had to keep the home fires burning on my own. (We have a very labour-intensive fire that requires much hauling of wood -)   I also had lots of extra tutoring to do, which meant long hours at the workplace.   It was all getting bit knackering. Then. . . To top it all off. . .   I think I broke my toe. I know! Careless! Stupid!   Unlucky! It was one of those ridiculous accidents involving a bare right foot, a chair leg and a very innocent little ‘clip’. I didn’t think much of it at the time. A slight shriek, some mad hopping, a few swear words, and that was it. Because it was 8:30 on a Saturday morning and I had a two hour run to complete. There was no time for fuss. This run was har