Skip to main content

The 'hilly bit'; the 'fun bit' and the 'crappy bit'. A blog in three parts



Part 1:  The ‘hilly bit’.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!
Or they get running. Or they do something! 
Sometimes, the ‘tough’ even start running up the ‘hilly bit’!!
Which is where the ‘tough’ and I usually part ways.
I hate the ‘hilly bit’ with a vengeance! (Which is strange when I live in a city surrounded by them). I detest the way the ‘hilly bit’ can ruin the most enjoyable of runs. Nothing’s easy when a ‘hilly bit’ gets in on the act. I hate everything about it. The way it sneaks up when you least expect it. The way its lurks at the end of a road, looking insignificant -  ’til you get up close. 
The ‘hilly bit’ can take you completely by surprise and should never be underestimated. 
It has a way of blatantly making your run way more stressful than it needs to be. It makes your legs hurt and your lungs strain and your arms ache. It makes you feel like you daren’t stop because there’re still miles to go and if you stop now you might never get started again. 
Running up the ‘hilly bit’ is tough! 
But then, I guess that’s the point. 
The ‘hilly bit’ is there for a reason.  And what’s the use of running a marathon if there’s no ‘hilly bit’. Anyone could do it then. There would simply be no challenge. The ‘hilly bit’ helps you find your mettle.
It helps you discover what you’re made of.

The ‘hilly bit’ is inherent in everything. 
If you’re on a diet the ‘hilly bit’ is the three o’clock munchies.
If you’re going for ‘dry July’ the ‘hilly bit’ is Friday night drinks, after work
If you’re writing a story the ‘hilly bit’ comes right at the beginning with the blank page.
There is always a 'hilly bit' in a relationship.
The ‘hilly bit’ will trip you up every time. It’s the thing that will make you doubt yourself and this crazy thing you want to do. The trick is to see it for what it is. Something that’s out to get you. 
Confront it head on. . . Trust me. . . It’s the only way.
Just like in that old ‘Bear Hunt’ story -    “you can’t go over it, you can’t go under it, you gotta go thru it.” Or, in the case of the ‘hilly bit’, you gotta go . . . UP it.
Here’s the thing. . .
When you get to a ‘hilly bit’. . you need a strategy.
Like counting. One, two, three, four. . . 
Like not looking up.
Like taking one step at a time.
Like distracting yourself. . . (think about dinner, or breakfast, or ice cream.)
Think about ANYTHING that’s not to do with running up hills!
Like singing a song or chanting a poem.
Like. . . anything bloody thing you can think of!!!
Just remember. . . 
We are programmed to give up at the ‘hilly bit’.
Your body wants an easy life. It wants to stop this nonsense right now! This minute! It’s your mind and your will that have registered for this damn marathon. Your body had nothing to do with it. And now here you are driving it up the ‘hilly bit’. No wonder it hates you! 
No wonder it screams out in protest! But you must take no notice. 
No matter how much pain you feel you have to keep going. You have to over-ride this lazy brain of yours.
Find a way through.
Keep going at all costs.
Don’t let it beat you!
Finally, after much effort and grim determination you might come to realise that the ‘hilly bit’ is actually good for you. That the view at the top is almost worth the pain.
In the end the ‘hilly bit’ will be what you remember. That’s the part when you thought you were going to die! But you didn’t. You kept on going. And you survived!
The ‘hilly bit’ made you reach deep inside yourself. It forced you to grit your teeth and bloody well get there.
You faced it, bravely. Despite the odds you pushed on through.
The ‘hilly bit’ is what made that nice glass of champagne at the finish line totally worth while.
The ‘hilly bit’ is what gave you the sense of achievement.
On the other hand, the ‘hilly bit’ might have been the very thing that made you pack your bags and move to somewhere  flat that has no ‘hilly bits’. 
Like the Taieri Plains, for instance.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to run a marathon

How to run a marathon (Post-race reflections) The marathon was three weeks ago and the body is slowly falling back into place. I can’t believe it’s been 19 weeks since I first embarked on this adventure. In the beginning it seemed an impossibility and it was with great trepidation that I began my training. But. . . I have always wanted to run a marathon and with age 60 looming large I knew it was now or never.   I followed the schedule with the aim of increasing my mileage and endurance to the point where I could contemplate going the distance. The long runs became steadily longer   - 60 mins became 70 then 80 then 90. Two hours loomed at the six week mark. The improvement was gradual and I tried not to think about the 36 kms that would be required at the end of week 13. While I learned to push myself just a little bit further with each and every run I still had grave doubts that my 60 year old bod would ever cope with 42.2 kms. The truth was, the runs were hard and I

Time to taper

Time to taper The big day is nearly here. In the past week my training runs have gone down. And down. And down. Aunty Lydia (running mentor and creator of 16 week schedule) tells me it’s time to taper.   ‘Taper?” I am only learning about this aspect of training for the first time. In the schedule it appears alongside words like ‘easy’ and ‘rest’. The mileage has gone down, the rest days have gone up.   In the dictionary ‘taper’ appears alongside words like   - narrow; wane; die down; dwindle; lessen; recede; subside; abate; diminish; rescind; slacken off. Words that make me feel uneasy. Words that feel like the opposite of what I should be doing.   The crux of this ‘tapering’ lark appears to be to ‘slacken off.’   Which is obviously appealing after 16 weeks of ‘cranking up’. So what, I hear you ask, is my problem?! My problem, I am fast realising, is my need to over-do stuff. To over-prepare. To over-compensate. To always try and do just that ‘little bit more’ than

What to do with a broken toe

What to do with a broken toe! It’s week 11 of training. But it’s has been ‘one of those weeks’. It all started with an unexpected head cold. A running nose. A pounding head. A barking cough. Throat on fire. The works.   Then the hubby went off to China for a week, which meant I had to keep the home fires burning on my own. (We have a very labour-intensive fire that requires much hauling of wood -)   I also had lots of extra tutoring to do, which meant long hours at the workplace.   It was all getting bit knackering. Then. . . To top it all off. . .   I think I broke my toe. I know! Careless! Stupid!   Unlucky! It was one of those ridiculous accidents involving a bare right foot, a chair leg and a very innocent little ‘clip’. I didn’t think much of it at the time. A slight shriek, some mad hopping, a few swear words, and that was it. Because it was 8:30 on a Saturday morning and I had a two hour run to complete. There was no time for fuss. This run was har